Have a Question? You may find the answer

FAQ 2019-02-27T15:55:50+00:00

Yes, you need to have a passport from one of the following 7 countries: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.

Nope. Not at all.

A few months’ experience working with kids is usually good enough for you to find a job. With more experience, and especially with formal teaching experience, your chances of finding a high-paying job are very high.

First, fill out the contact form and leave your email so we can write back, which we can almost always do within a day. We’ll ask a few more questions and then pass your details on to our partner schools, and if they like you we can usually arrange a job interview on skype within a week.

2-4 months. Before the school can apply for a work permit for you, you’ll need to provide a certificate showing you have no criminal convictions (which can take up to a month to be issued in some countries) and other documents which are easier to get. Then it takes about 6 weeks for the school to get you a work permit. With the permit, you can apply for a visa, which takes another week.

Right now we’re recruiting for the next academic year, which starts in September 2019, although a few schools have teachers starting year-round.

It’s best to apply a few months in advance.

The school will sponsor you for a work visa.

No, not yet. You will need a TEFL or similar qualification before you apply for a work visa, but it’s fairly simple to do a 40 hour online course after a school has already accepted you.

Most schools either offer accommodation or can send a representative from the school to help you view apartments. This is not guaranteed for every school; however accommodation in China is usually easy to find.

High. $22 per hour or $1600 per month are normal salaries for foreign teachers in Kunming, where a month’s rent is $220 and a meal in a restaurant is $2-3.

In Shanghai meanwhile the salary can reach $29 per hour or $3,000 per month, while rent is $250-500 and a meal in a restaurant is $3-4.

All these numbers are approximate, but they show just how high the salary is and just how much money you’ll be able to save.

Most schools offer a 1 year or 10 month contract.

Unfortunately, if you have a criminal record available for disclosure then you will not be given a visa. You need to provide a police certificate proving that you have no criminal record when applying.

In some countries, such as the UK, the police do not disclose information about some convictions after a certain number of years have passed, so the certificate will be clear and you will be able to apply for a visa.

  • Age 22-65
  • Native English speaker (with passport from USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa)
  • Experience working with children (doesn’t have to be teaching English, but it helps)
  • Bachelor’s degree in any subject (with a certificate that can be certified by an embassy)
  • 2 years’ work experience while not a student (any job) OR a Master’s degree in any subject
  • TEFL/TESOL Certificate (but you can get one online after a school offers you a job)
  • Letter of recommendation from previous workplace
  • Certificate showing no criminal record from previous place(s) of residence
  • Health check to prove you’re free from diseases such as AIDS and tuberculosis
  • Sense of adventure (not on the official list, but it helps)

We work with many schools, so we can’t provide absolute details for all. Two typical examples are shown on the “Teaching in China” tab.

This varies a lot between the schools. Some training schools have very small classes of 3-4 students; others have 10-15 students. Normal schools have bigger classes, usually 20-25 students.

It depends on the school. You’re more likely to have an assistant teacher if the kids are under 12, if there are a lot of kids or if their English level is very low.

Life in China is different from back home. It’s more chaotic and exciting; people will invite you to have a drink with them or join their banquet at a moment’s notice. You can curl up and relax in your apartment if you want, but when you head out there will always be somewhere new to explore. Some things are frustrating, like the traffic and the bureaucracy, but for most expats it’s worth it. Life in China is an adventure, basically.

Yes. China is one of the safest countries in the world, much safer than most Western countries.

Yes. Health insurance is provided as standard.

It’s not easy, but yes. China has lots of delicious vegetable dishes, but unless you ask they may garnish them in meat sauce. If you can live with that, life in China is easy. For strict vegetarians and vegans the best is to either cook food yourself or go to Buddhist restaurants (Kunming has many).